Whenever you are in an exercise, you will have access to two different readings and reflections: the exercise reading and reflection and the Daily Gospel.
The exercise reading and reflection. The exercise reading and reflection is the primary reading and reflection is for the given day of the exercise you are in. For example, Day 1 of Exodus 90 has a Day 1 reading and reflection. This reading and reflection is in accord with your start date and not the calendar. These readings and reflections only appear once you have begun the exercise. Prior to Day 1 of your exercise, these will not be visible.
Daily Gospel. In addition to your exercise's Day reading and reflection, we are providing you with the liturgical day's gospel and a guide to Lectio Divina. These gospel readings are not marked as Day 1 or following because they are not linked to the exercises themselves. They are set to the calendar date in accordance with the Church's liturgical year. You do not have to read the gospel and reflection each day. They are a completely independent piece and are totally optional. If you want them, they are there, if not no worries. Many men like to use them during their daily prayer time after they have finished an exercise, such as Exodus 90, and before their fraternity begins a new exercise, such as Reflection Peak.
I'm in an exercise, how do I see yesterday's exercise reading and reflection?
There are two ways to do this. The first way is for if you missed yesterday's reading or don't need to go back very far. The second way gives you access to every reading your fraternity has ever done.
- Select the "Read" button to get to today's reading
- Select the small button next to "Day #" at the top of the screen to go back to the day you want
- Select the Exercises tab on the bottom right of your screen
- Select the Range and Exercise from which you would like to read
- Select Browse to see the list of available reflections
Note: You will only be able to see the readings for the days you have made it to thus far. For example. On Day 8 you will see the Day 8 reading and reflection. You will also be able to go back to see Days 1-7. But you will not be able to go ahead and see the Day 9 reading and reflection.
How do I switch from the Day's reading to the Daily Gospel reading?
- From the home page above the "Read" button in the upper left of the screen, you will see two small dots. [If you only see one small dot then you are not currently in an exercise and thus can only see the Daily Gospel.] If the dot on the left is white you are set to read the exercise Day's reading and reflection. Pressing the "Read" button at this time will take you to exercise Day's reading and reflection. If the right dot is white you are set to read the Daily Gospel's reading and reflection. Pressing the "Read" button at this time will take you to the Daily Gospel reading and reflection.
- If you are on a smartphone, the title of the exercise on the home screen can be swiped right and left. Swiping right or left will change which dot (right or left) is white and thus change which readings and reflections you will see when you click the "Read button." When the left dot is white swipe from right to left to see the Daily Gospel reading and reflection. When the right dot is white, swipe from left to right to see the exercise Day's reading and reflection. — If you are on a computer, it is a little harder to swipe, though the same area is still able to be swiped. When the left dot is white you will want to swipe from right to left to see the Daily Gospel reading and reflection. When the right dot is white, you will want to swipe from left to right to see the exercise Day's reading and reflection. To swipe left on a computer do the following: Looking at the title of the reading above the "Read" button go as far right on your screen as you can. Left-click your mouse and hold down. While holding down drag your cursor to the left. You should see the text move. If it moves but bounces back and does not switch to a different title, nor switch which circle is white (right or left) then you didn't move it far enough. Try again. If it still doesn't work, you are likely trying to move the wrong direction based on which circle is white. Try this process again moving the opposite direction.
- Once you have switched which dot is white and which title you see, you are able to see the desired reading and reflection, either the exercise Day's reading and reflection or the Daily Gospel reading and reflection.
- If you came to this article trying to see a previous day's exercise reading, but jumped down to this section because you were seeing the Daily Gospel instead, jump back up the section above entitled, "I'm in an exercise, how do I see yesterday's exercise reading and reflection?" and start back at step 1.